Sunday, September 7, 2008

How do I say goodbye? again...

I'm watching him pack. All of this gear, bullet proof vests,sheilds, sleeping bags scattered in an organized mess on the floor waiting to go into to green bags that always smell like sewage...it kills me to see this. It would be different if it was a place where none of this "protection" was needed. Like a normal business trip. Not a war zone...
Almost time for us to say goodbye...wait..."see you later" again. It seems like yesterday I was getting ready for him to come home, cleaning the house, trying to make everything perfect...including my hair (that never did fall just right that day). It was only 3 months ago...
I watch my friends do the same with their husbands. Holding hands as if to hold on to dear life, looking at him as if to memorize his every feature.
The pain I will see in everyones eyes (including mine)as they get on the bus...
Holding hands through a small window...behind the glass our life...
The tears as we realize they wont be home tonight...
Then someone, a friend, family member or just an onlooker will remind us that it is one day closer to the day we will see them again. Slight gesture but it means the world right then.
The countdown will begin tomorrow...
Until my love returns.

No comments: