Monday, March 22, 2010

Someone's grief is someone's relief.

As sad as it is, that statement is true.
My spouse group and I welcomed home a Fallen Hero today. He was only 23 years old. He had been married for 10 months and had a new little girl that he never got to meet. He made the ultimate sacrifice. Today, his family rode through base, looking through the limo window at all of the people there to support them.
As we watched the police motorcycles, hearse and limos go by we raised our hands to our hearts, the service members saluted. Honoring him, them and their sacrifice. I couldn't help but thinking that I am grateful that Michael was standing next to me safely. Then, I felt an enormous amount of guilt for thinking that. I know that at one point his spouse had thought the same thing.
I found myself thinking about how much I take for granted, how much I should be thankful for, and how good my life really is.
I have my handsome husband, who is at home and in bed with me. I have my perfect son, who makes me smile everyday, is healthy and thriving and I have a terrific support network. My friends from home and family and the friends I have made here.
Tonight as we lay down to go to sleep, in our comfortable beds, with our loved ones safe in our arms, please take a moment to be thankful for it all.

No comments: